How to Drink More Water
Perhaps no beverage is more important for your health than plain, simple water. Learn how to drink more water, and discover six benefits that water provides for your body’s good health. As a bonus, we’ll share a simple substitution that may help you lose up to 19 pounds this year.
How Much Water Do I Need?
Your actual water needs depend on many factors, including where you live, your activity level (how much you sweat), your weight and the other foods and drinks that you consume. A simple rule of thumb we follow is to drink 1 liter of slightly alkaline water per day for every 30 pounds of body weight.
You lose water when you sweat, go to the bathroom, and even when you breathe! And, when the air in your home is dry, you lose even more water, which is why it is especially important to know how to drink more water all year round.
Six Benefits of Drinking More Water
Water carries nutrients to your cells and flushes toxins out vital organs. And, it fills up your stomach so you can eat fewer calories and still feel full & satisfied. Here are 6 benefits of learning how to drink more water.
- Drinking water helps organs, joints and tissues function with ease.
- Water has zero calories. It fills you up and helps reduce calorie intake.
- Water boosts metabolism, so you actually burn more calories.
- Water helps energize your body and your mind.
- Water helps keep skin looking good.
- Water helps your digestive system work properly.
More Reasons to Drink More Water
Beyond generally keeping your body working properly, drinking more water can actually give you more energy, help you lose weight, and support your anti-inflammatory Health-e-Solutions lifestyle.
Even slight dehydration can cause grogginess, lack of energy, and trouble concentrating. You can increase your energy, mental and physical alertness simply by making sure that you drink more water each day!
Water can help with weight loss in two ways. First, it contains zero calories and fills up your stomach, especially when you might be tempted to grab a high calorie, low nutrition food or drink. Second, your brain often confuses dehydration with hunger. So, staying hydrated can help you feel less hungry and eat fewer calories.
Finally, as you follow the Health-e-Solutions lifestyle and eat more high fiber foods, it is very important that you learn how to drink more purified, slightly alkaline water. The added water will help your body effectively process the extra fiber in your system.
How Drinking More Water Can Help You Lose Weight
Many popular beverages are high in sugar and calories, and contain little or no nutrition. A secret for losing weight is to substitute water for one high-calorie drink per day. For example, a typical 16 oz. soda contains 184 calories. Replacing that daily soda with water would reduce calories equaling nearly 19 pounds in one year. As an added bonus, you’ll save over $365 if you are buying that drink at a fast food restaurant.
You may not drink soda every day, but there may be another sugary food or drink in your daily routine. Keep an open mind, and try substituting water instead.
How to Drink More Water
Here are six tips for how to drink more water by making it a habit every day:
- Drink a big glass of water first thing each morning. It’s an easy way to add water to your daily routine as you help your body flush out toxins and start the day right.
- Make water your first choice. Many have a habit of ordering a soft drink when dining out. When the server asks if you would like a drink with that meal, simply say, “no thanks, I’ll just have a glass for some water.”
- Drink water 20 minutes before every snack or meal. Not only will you be more hydrated, but your stomach will send messages to you brain that you are not as hungry, so you’ll eat less.
- Liven up your water. For a refreshing twist, slice cucumbers and add them to a picture of ice-cold water. Keep the pitcher in the fridge for a cold drink throughout the day. You can also add sliced oranges, cantaloupe, limes, or berries.
- Carry a bottle of water with you. By carrying a bottle of water with you throughout the day, you are constantly reminded to hydrate. Instead of spending money buying water bottles, consider purchasing a reusable water bottle. Reusable bottles are also more environmentally friendly.
- Eat more fruits & vegetables. That’s right, by choosing natural, whole foods that naturally contain water, you can get lots of water from your foods. Nearly any whole fruit or vegetable is a source of water. The best part is that these foods also contain fiber and polyphenols to support your anti-inflammatory diet.
By following these tips for how to drink more water, you can make sure that your body is happy and hydrated and that your body and mind are working optimally!
Health-e-Solutions comment: Planning and preparation makes this lifestyle practical, livable, and sustainable. Being purposeful & organized helps you persevere and master this condition when motivation runs low. The old saying is true, “If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.” Our 132-page downloadable, printable e-publication, “Targeting Success” provides you with resources to target long term success following the Health-e-Solutions lifestyle. We don’t think it is in your best interest to achieve short term success if it cannot be sustained. To that end we have compiled and created this set of reports into one e-book to help you plan, prepare, organize and succeed in transforming your lifestyle for improved blood sugar control and better living. This is an essential resource for your long term success. You will not regret learning the valuable tips and strategies found here.