Health-e-Tip: Make Exercise FUN
Make Exercise FUN! Fitness isn’t about drudgery and obligation, but opportunity and freedom – freedom of movement, of expression, and of the benefits you gain both physically and, often more importantly, emotionally/psychologically. Fitness should always be a part of a well-balanced Health-e-Solutions lifestyle.
Getting motivated to begin, and even more so actually adhering to some regular exercise and physical activity can be a challenge. Perception is important to application. Replace adjectives like “work”, “intense”, and “exercise” with “play”, “invigorating, and “activity” and you change the mindset towards making fitness fun. Broaden your vision of fitness and you can find an entire world of possibilities that allow everyone, everywhere to find something they enjoy doing. (8)
Here are some ways you can make exercise and fitness FUN:
- Focus on movement – Rather than concentrating on specific exercises or machines, focus on movement. Adopt the mantra: “Move it to Lose It!” Focusing on movement provides an array of options to get fit including calisthenics, dance, etc.
- Make a game out of it – Go on a “fitness scavenger hunt” where you amass points for completing different activities. Example: Walk the dog around the entire neighborhood: 5 points; ride your bike to your favorite bookstore: 10 points. Reward yourself after accumulating a certain number of points to reinforce your positive action.
- Play Time – Get together with friends and transport to a time when fitness was fun with games like tag, kickball, whiffle ball, “red light, green light,” etc.
- Go “Old School” – Head to your nearest school or playground and make your way through the jungle gym, traverse the monkey bars and hopscotch your way fit
- Make it a Family Affair – Organize a family or neighborhood Fun & Fit Day and have different events like sack races, 3-legged relays, Hula-hoop contests and more!
- Get in touch with Nature – Nature provides a great backdrop to add some adventure and fun to your exercise. Go hiking, explore the nearest park or follow a stream where it leads.
- Run Amuck – Run Amuck Festivals are held all over the USA each year and involve making your way over a 3 mile course laden with mud pits and waterways. You can participate as an individual or team up with friends. They even have a costumed category where you can run the course in a crazy, fun costume! (runamuckfestival.com)
- Dance Party – Invite friends and family over and have a dance party. See who can dance the fastest, the longest and the craziest! Then share some healthy snacks together and exchange recipes for nutritious dishes to add some food to your flair.
- Become a tourist – Tour your own city on foot. Map out destinations ahead of time that take you from one cool spot to the next. Experience culture and exercise at the same time.
- Flex your Green Thumb – Plant some new flowers, shrubs and plants, or carry some new saplings to different spots around your neighborhood and community and get to digging!
Health-e-Solutions comment: Remember, fitness isn’t about drudgery and obligation, but opportunity and freedom – freedom of movement, of expression, and of the benefits you gain both physically and, often more importantly, emotionally and psychologically.
As one of the five pillars supporting thriving health, an integral part of the Health-e-Solutions lifestyle always includes a consistent exercise regimen. We want to help you realize the importance of exercise, but also the complexities involved in #BloodSuigarControl with diabetes while incorporating exercise into your daily routine. Our downloadable, printable report on exercise and diabetes equips you to make exercise with diabetes, particularly insulin-dependent diabetes, more manageable, fun, and practical.