Coconuts are a versatile superfood providing nutrition, health benefits, and amazing medicinal properties all wrapped in one delicious package. Coconuts are totally natural, easily available and affordable; and every part of the fruit is useful.
Green coconut water uses
- Natural, healthy source for hydration, energy and endurance, making it the perfect sports drink.
- Restores electrolytes after exercise, vomiting, diarrhea.
- Antiseptic properties provide antibacterial, anti-viral and anti-fungal agents to purify blood — killing measles, herpes, influenza, AIDS, SARS, hepatitis C…
- Useful for emergency transfusions due to being close in composition to human plasma.
- Used to prevent vomiting, nausea and replace lost fluids in cases of malaria, typhoid, influenza…
- Dissolves kidney stones alkalizing urine pH.
- Used as a natural cleanse, coconut water mixed with olive oil eliminates intestinal parasites.
Coconut oil medicinal uses
Virgin coconut oil tastes and smells like coconut. Expeller pressed oil has no scent or taste and both types can be used medicinally.
- Kills bacteria causing urinary tract infections, gonorrhea, gum disease, staphylococcus, MRSA…
- Destroys fungus causing candida.
- Kills viruses causing flu, infectious disease, typhoid, HIV…
- Inhibits parasite growth such as tapeworm, liver flukes, giardia…
- Eases acid reflux, relieves gallbladder disease.
- Enhances proper bowel function and lowers incidence of hemorrhoids when oil is consumed.
- Relieves and heals intestinal disorders, ulcers, colitis, IBS, and Crohn’s disease.
- Stabilizes blood sugar and insulin production.
- Eases neuropathies and itching from diabetes.
- Protects against osteoporosis and reduces problems from cystic fibrosis.
- Enhances pancreatic function, enzyme production and reduces pancreatitis.
- Improves magnesium and calcium absorption, promoting stronger bones.
- Reduces joint and muscle inflammation, supporting repair of tissues.
- Regulates thyroid function.
- Protects against cancers of colon, breast, and digestive tract.
- Medium chain fatty acids (MCFA) protect against development of Alzheimer’s disease.
- MCFA strengthen heart and circulatory system protecting against artherosclerosis and heart disease.
- Prevents oxidation of fatty acids.
- Provides antioxidants to fight free radicals slowing aging and degenerative diseases such as arthritis.
- Relieves symptoms of chronic fatigue syndrome.
- Reduces incidence and intensity of epileptic seizures.
- Stabilizes female hormones reducing hot flashes and vaginal dryness during menopause.
- Lessens symptoms associated with prostate enlargement.
- Strengthens the liver and protects against degeneration.
- Soothes earaches when mixed with garlic and olive oil.
Topical uses for coconut oil
- Forms a chemical barrier on skin to protect and heal infections.
- Topical applications relieve pain and swelling from hemorrhoids.
- Moisturizes and softens dry skin.
- Reduces bags, puffiness and wrinkles under eyes.
- Lessens occurrence and appearance of varicose veins.
- Preps skin before shaving.
- Mixed with baking soda, coconut oil makes an effective toothpaste.
- Soothes sunburned skin and promotes healing of burns and blisters.
- Heals psoriasis and eczema lesions.
- Stops pain, burning, and itching of bug and snake bites.
- Prevents itching from poison ivy, oak, and sumac.
- Promotes firm skin tone, preventing age spots, sagging and wrinkles.
- Eliminates head lice.
- Removes makeup easily.
- Heals nail fungus under finger and toenails.
- Prevent nosebleeds by applying light film inside nostrils.
- In combination with cornstarch and baking soda, coconut oil makes an effective deodorant.
- Makes an excellent massage oil, a natural personal lubricant, and great sunscreen.
- Conditions hair, prevents split ends, reduces frizz, controls flaky scalp and dandruff.
- Removes scars and stretch marks.
- Repairs cracked, sore, dry nipples from nursing.
- Heals diaper rash and removes cradle cap on babies.
Nutritional uses for coconut oil
- Enhances absorption of nutrients in the gut and improves digestion.
- Provides a quick energy source and stimulates metabolism.
- Produces immediate, usable energy source rather than being stored as fat.
- Increases metabolic rate, stabilizes body weight, and controls food cravings.
- Enriches milk supply for breast-feeding women.
- Doesn’t form harmful by-products during cooking when used at high heat.
Sources for this article include:
Health-e-Solutions comment: Now that is a long list of health benefits! Even though it is a saturated fat, coconut is a unique oil in that it is almost entirely made up of medium chain triglycerides (MCT). This seems to provide it with many of its health benefits. We are careful with coconut water with our type 1 diabetic boys. It can be too sweet some times, so we would rather they eat the coconut meat and the coconut oil. Expeller pressed extra virgin is best in our opinion.
Our recipe e-books, workshops and home study course will teach you how to transform your lifestyle in a practical, livable way for long term sustainability and better living. You will enjoy a natural way to help manage type 1 and type 2 diabetes with healthy, alkaline-forming, low-glycemic foods.