7 Oil Pulling Health Benefits
7 Oil Pulling Health Benefits. Each week, one amazing health ritual I try never to forget, is oil pulling. Simple, easy and clean, oil pulling is one of nature’s most efficient ways to detox the body.
WHAT IS OIL PULLING?
An ancient Ayurvedic ritual dating back over 3,000 years, oil pulling involves placing a tablespoon of extra virgin organic cold pressed oil (I use coconut oil, but sesame or olive oil is the most researched) into your mouth and then swishing it around for up to 20 minutes, pulling it between your teeth, before spitting it out. Whatever you do, do not swallow the oil as you will ingest the toxins you are trying to eliminate. Afterwards requires brushing your teeth, rinsing out your mouth and you’re done! It really is that easy.
WHY OIL PULLING?
With the mouth as the home to millions of bacteria, fungi, viruses and other toxins, the oil acts like a cleanser, pulling out the nasties before they get a chance to spread throughout the body.
This frees up the immune system, reduces stress, curtails internal inflammation and aids well-being.
It has so many benefits that whole books have been written on the topic, but here are some TOP REASONS for making oil pulling a part of YOUR morning routine:
- WHITENS TEETH – There is no need for chemical teeth whitening strips when oil pulling works just as well! The oil possesses natural antibiotic and antiviral properties that brightens and cleans teeth, keeping them pearly white. Try it for two weeks and you’ll see what I mean, or just take a look at Gwyneth Paltrow’s smile. She is known to follow the practice each morning.
- INCREASES ENERGY – When our immune system is put to work in clearing out toxic waste from our body, it drains our energy levels. Removing the noxious culprits by oil pulling lowers the amount of work our body has to do to function, which leaves us feeling a whole lot better.
- DETOXES THE BODY – Germs in the body are much like poison causing inflammation and leading to disease and illness in turn. The gateway to the body for such contamination is the mouth. Therefore, in removing the toxins at the source, before they get a chance to spread, the body undergoes detox. Neat!
- SUPPORTS HORMONES – Without having to compete with foreign substances, hormones can behave as they should, functioning to their best ability without being thrown off balance.
- REDUCES HEADACHES – When the body is under toxic stress, headaches and migraines occur. It is nature’s way of asking for some time out to recover. By eliminating bacteria from the body via oil pulling, headaches can be avoided.
- KEEPS THE SKIN CLEAR – Removing toxins from the body that would otherwise make it into the bloodstream means the skin has a chance to shine. Rashes and skin issues often reduce dramatically, or even clear up completely, when oil pulling.
- PROMOTES ORAL HYGIENE – Oil pulling is highly effective at reducing tooth cavities and at eradicating bad breath. Removing the Streptococcus mutans bacteria (an important player in tooth decay) as well as other microorganisms, oil pulling is great for oral health. It also helps with plaque-induced gingivitis.
When you start oil pulling, you might experience some of the positive effects immediately, or it may take a few days or even weeks. It will very much depend on the state of your health to begin with, and how compromised your immune system is. Either way, hang in there and I am sure you will grow to love it as much as I do!
The core of the Health-e-Solutions lifestyle uses food as natural means by which to master diabetes in the healthiest way possible. With the understanding that there is much more to be explored, we delve into a number of natural treatments we have researched and found to be sufficiently safe and effective. In this downloadable, printable e-publication called More Natural Remedies, we stay “close to home,” as it were, as we discuss additional treatment topics primarily having to do with food as medicine. They offer practical, innovative, natural remedies to improve health and diabetes control.